Rail infrastructure, assets & environmental
Annual statistics covering passenger and freight CO2 emissions, average age of rolling stock used by passenger train operating companies and reference data on the mainline infrastructure in Great Britain.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Rail infrastructure, assets and environmental methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Rail infrastructure, assets & environmental can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact email@example.com
Latest statistical release
Date published: 18 Oct 2018
Date next published: TBC
- 5,766km of the mainline railway route is now electrified; 36% of the total (up from 34% in 2016-17)
- The average age of rolling stock is 19.6 years, a 0.6 year decrease over the course of 2017-18. This is a result of the introduction of new rolling stock by many operators.
- Electricity consumed (in kWh) for providing traction to rail services has increased in both the passenger and freight sectors. Conversely, the amount of diesel used has seen a decrease.
- CO2e emissions from the provision of traction to trains has decreased (6.6% for passenger services, 2.9% for freight), largely due to the use of greener energy sources for electricity generation.
Previous statistical releases
- Average age of rolling stock by franchised train operating company - Table 2.31
- Average age of rolling stock by sector - Table 2.30
- Estimates of normalised passenger and freight carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) emissions - Table 2.100
- Estimates of passenger and freight energy consumption and carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) emissions - Table 2.101
- Infrastructure on the railways - Table 2.52
- Light maintenance depot stewardship measure average scores - Table 2.62
- Mainline stations in Great Britain - Table 2.53
- Network capability changes - detailed report - Table 2.64
- Station stewardship measure for category A stations - Table 2.94
- Station stewardship measure for category B stations - Table 2.95
- Station stewardship measure for category C stations - Table 2.96
- Station stewardship measure for category D stations - Table 2.97
- Station stewardship measure for category E stations - Table 2.98
- Station stewardship measure for category F stations - Table 2.99