Passenger rail performance
Quarterly and periodic (4-weekly) statistics on punctuality, reliability and causes of delay for passenger trains operating on the mainline network in Great Britain.
A number of changes have been made to the 2019-20 Q1 statistical release (published on 19 September 2019) to include new punctuality and reliability performance measures developed by the rail industry. Statistics on freight rail performance can now be found within our Freight rail usage and performance statistics.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail performance methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger and freight rail performance can be found on the National Archives.
Quarterly cancellations and significant lateness data will no longer be produced; data up to 2018-19 Q4 are available here.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
USER ENGAGEMENT SURVEY - How can we improve the Data Portal? Give us your views on our outputs via our user survey (here).
Latest statistical release
Date published: 05 Dec 2019
Date next published: 20 Feb 2020
- For the On Time punctuality measure, the percentage of recorded station stops arrived at ‘on time’ (early or less than one minute after the scheduled time) in Great Britain was 65.1% in the year ending 2019-20 Q2.
- Using the Public Performance Measure (PPM), 87.3% of trains were punctual (early or less than 5/10 minutes after the scheduled arrival time) at their final destination in the year ending 2019-20 Q2.
- The proportion of trains classified as Cancellations in the year ending 2019-20 Q2 was 2.8%. This measure is a weighted score which counts full cancellations as one and part cancellations as half.
Previous statistical releases
- Disaggregated train punctuality and reliability performance by sub- operator - Table 3.9
- Train punctuality at recorded station stops by TOC - Table 3.65
- Severely disrupted days by sub-operator - Table 3.67
- Train cancellations by TOC and responsibility category - Table 3.66
- CaSL by TOC and sector - Table 3.7
- Delay minutes by TOC and responsibility category - Table 3.20
- Number of passenger trains cancelled by TOC - Table 3.60
- Number of passenger trains planned by TOC - Table 3.61
- PPM by TOC and Sector - Table 3.56
- Average passenger lateness by TOC and Sector - Table 3.70
- Consistent Region Measure - (Passenger) Performance - periodic by Region - Table 3.30