Rail industry finance (UK)
Annual statistics reporting income and expenditure for Network Rail, passenger operators (both franchised and open access) and other sectors of the UK rail industry including Northern Ireland. It also includes data for government support to the rail industry. Before 2019-20, detailed analysis was published in the UK rail industry financials.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Rail investment and subsidies can be found on the National Archives. Previous UK rail industry financial reports can be found on the ORR website.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact email@example.com
Latest statistical release
Date published: 30 Nov 2021
Date next published: TBC
- The rail industry in 2020-21 was substantially affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Passenger revenues fell to historically low levels and the government used emergency measures to keep train services running, which led to a large increase in train operator subsidy.
- Total rail industry income in 2020-21 was £20.7 billion, a 2.4% increase from 2019-20. This consisted of £16.9 billion from government funding, £2.5 billion from passengers (£1.8 billion of fares and £0.6 billion of other train operator income), and £1.3 billion from other sources.
- Total expenditure in 2020-21 was £21.0 billion, a 3.8% increase from 2019-20. This consisted of £10.3 billion of franchised train operator expenditure, £9.6 billion of Network Rail expenditure and £1.1 billion of expenditure by other parts of the rail industry.
Previous statistical releases
- Table 7210 – UK rail industry finances since 2015-16 by country and NR region
- Table 7214 – GB rail industry finances by country and NR region(latest year)
- Table 7215 – GB Rail Industry Finances by country And NR Region Normalised by Passenger Kilometres(latest year)
- Table 7216 – GB Rail Industry Finances since 2015-16 by country And NR Region
- Table 7223 – Franchised Passenger Train Operator Finances by Franchise(latest year)
- Table 7226 – Franchised Passenger Train Operator Finances since 2015-16 by Franchise
- Table 7233 – Non Franchised Passenger Train Operator Finances since 2015-16 by Operator
- Table 7243 – Freight Train Operator Finances since 2015-16 by Operator
- Table 7250 – High Speed 1 Finances
- Table 7260 – Northern Ireland Railways Finances
- Table 7265 - Core Valley Lines Finances
- Table 7270 - Government support to the rail industry
- Table 7271 – Government support to the rail industry by source and recipient
- Table 7290 - Private sector investment in the rail industry (excludes Network Rail investment)
- Table 7273 - Government subsidy by franchised passenger operator(up to 2018-19)