Rail industry finance (UK)
This is a new statistical release for 2019-20 that brings together the previous rail finance statistical release (government subsidies and private investment) with a more detailed breakdown of industry income and expenditure previously published in the UK rail industry financials.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Rail investment and subsidies can be found on the National Archives. Previous UK rail industry financial reports can be found on the ORR website.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Date published: 26 Nov 2020
Date next published: TBC
- Total rail industry income in 2019-20 was £20.1bn, a 5.3% increase from 2018-19. This consisted of £11.6bn from passengers (£10.4bn of fares and £1.2bn of other train operator income), £6.5bn from government funding and £2.0bn from other sources.
- In addition to the £6.5bn of support for the operational railway, government provided £1.8bn in funding for enhancements to the existing network and £2.5bn towards the High Speed 2 project.
- Total expenditure in 2019-20 was £20.2bn, a 4.0% increase from 2018-19. This consisted of £10.6bn of franchised train operator expenditure, £8.4bn of Network Rail expenditure and £1.1bn of expenditure by other parts of the rail industry.
- Table 7210 – UK rail industry finances over five years by country and NR region
- Table 7214 – GB rail industry finances by country and NR region
- Table 7215 – GB rail industry finances by country and NR region normalised by passenger kilometres
- Table 7216 – GB rail industry finances over five years by country and NR region
- Table 7270 - Government support to the rail industry
- Table 7271 – Government support to the rail industry by source and recipient
- Table 7273 - Government subsidy per passenger kilometre by operator
- Table 7223 – Franchised passenger train operator finances by franchise
- Table 7226 – Franchised passenger train operator finances over five years by franchise
- Table 7233 – Non-franchised passenger train operator finances over five years by operator
- Table 7243 – Freight train operator finances over five years by operator
- Table 7250 – High Speed 1 finances
- Table 7260 – Northern Ireland Railways finances
- Table 7290 - Private sector investment in the rail industry (excludes Network Rail investment)