Passenger rail performance
Quarterly and periodic (4-weekly) statistics on punctuality, reliability and causes of delay for passenger trains operating on the mainline network in Great Britain.
A number of changes were made to these statistics in 2019 to include new punctuality and reliability performance measures developed by the rail industry. Statistics on freight rail performance can now be found within our Freight rail usage and performance statistics.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail performance quality and methodology report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger and freight rail performance can be found on the National Archives.
Quarterly cancellations and significant lateness data will no longer be produced; historic data up to 2018-19 Q4 is available.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Date published: 17 Sep 2020
Date next published: 03 Dec 2020
- For the On Time punctuality measure, the percentage of recorded station stops arrived at ‘on time’ (early or less than one minute after the scheduled time) in Great Britain was 86.4% in 2020-21 Q1.
- Using the Public Performance Measure (PPM), 96.2% of trains were punctual (early or less than 5/10 minutes after the scheduled arrival time) at their final destination in 2020-21 Q1.
- The proportion of trains classified as Cancellations in 2020-21 Q1 was 1.2%. This measure is a weighted score which counts full cancellations as one and part cancellations as half.
Previous statistical releases
- Table 3104 - Passenger trains planned by operator (periodic)
- Table 3114 - Public Performance Measure by operator and sector (periodic)
- Table 3124 - Train cancellations by operator and cause (periodic)
- Table 3128 - Trains cancelled by operator (periodic)
- Table 3138 - Train punctuality at recorded station stops by operator (periodic)
- Table 3144 - Average passenger lateness by operator and sector (periodic)
- Table 3157 - Days of severe disruption by sub-operator
- Table 3167 - Disaggregated train punctuality and reliability performance by sub-operator (periodic)
- Table 3184 - Delay minutes by operator and cause (periodic)
- Table 3194 - Cancelled and Significantly Late by operator and sector (periodic)
- Table 3174 - Consistent Region Measure (Passenger) Performance by Region (periodic)