Passenger rail performance
Quarterly and periodic (4-weekly) statistics on punctuality, reliability and causes of delay for passenger trains operating on the mainline network in Great Britain.
A number of changes have been made to the 2019-20 Q1 statistical release (published on 19 September 2019) to include new punctuality and reliability performance measures developed by the rail industry. Statistics on freight rail performance can now be found within our Freight rail usage and performance statistics.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail performance methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger and freight rail performance can be found on the National Archives.
Quarterly cancellations and significant lateness data will no longer be produced; data up to 2018-19 Q4 are available here.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Date published: 19 Sep 2019
Date next published: 05 Dec 2019
- For the On Time punctuality measure, the percentage of recorded station stops arrived at ‘on time’ (early or less than one minute after the scheduled time) in Great Britain was 64.7% in the year ending 2019-20 Q1.
- Using the Public Performance Measure (PPM), 87.0% of trains were punctual (early or less than 5/10 minutes after the scheduled arrival time) at their final destination in the year ending 2019-20 Q1.
- The proportion of trains classified as Cancellations in the year ending 2019-20 Q1 was 2.8%. This measure is a weighted score which counts full cancellations as one and part cancellations as half.
Previous statistical releases
- Disaggregated train punctuality and reliability performance on the rail network - periodic by sub- operator - Table 3.9
- Train punctuality at recorded station stops by TOC - Table 3.65
- Severe disruption by sub-operator - Table 3.67
- Number of cancellations by TOC - Table 3.66
- Cancelled and Significantly Late - periodic by TOC and Sector - Table 3.7
- Delay minutes on the rail network - periodic by TOC and cause - Table 3.20
- Number of passenger trains cancelled by TOC - Table 3.60 (periodic)
- Number of passenger trains planned by TOC - Table 3.61 (periodic)
- Public Performance Measure - periodic by TOC and Sector - Table 3.56
- Average passenger lateness on the rail network - periodic by TOC and Sector - Table 3.70
- Consistent Region Measure - (Passenger) Performance - periodic by Region - Table 3.30
- Train punctuality at recorded station stops - quarterly by TOC - Table 3.80
- Train cancellations – quarterly by train operating company and responsible category - Table 3.68
- Public Performance Measure (PPM) train punctuality - quarterly by train operating company and sector - Table 3.42
- Trains Planned, PPM, and CaSL - quarterly by TOC - Table 3.58