Passenger rail usage
Quarterly statistics reporting the volume of passenger journeys, kilometres and revenue on the mainline network in Great Britain. Long-running time series on passenger journeys (Table 1220) and passenger kilometres (Table 1230) are updated annually.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail usage quality and methodology report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger rail usage can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Passenger rail usage, January to March 2023
Date published: 08 Jun 2023
Date next published: 05 Oct 2023
- Total passenger revenue in Great Britain (GB) in the latest quarter (1 January to 31 March 2023) was £2.2 billion. This is 70% of the £3.2 billion in the same quarter four years ago (pre-pandemic). In the latest year (April 2022 to March 2023), total revenue was £8.6 billion, this is 72% of the £12.0 billion in the same quarter four years ago.
- Total GB estimates for passenger journeys and kilometres presented are subject to uncertainty due to issues in the data source. See pages 2 and 3 in the statistical release for more details. Provisionally, 389 million rail passenger journeys were recorded in GB in the latest quarter. This is 88% of the 443 million journeys in the same quarter four years ago. 1.4 billion rail passenger journeys were made in GB in the latest year. This is 83% of the 1.7 billion journeys three years ago.
- Passenger kilometres were subject to the uncertainty as previously mentioned. Provisionally, a total of 13.4 billion passenger kilometres were recorded in GB in the latest quarter. This equates to 80% of the 16.7 billion kilometres in the same quarter four years ago. 53.3 billion passenger kilometres were recorded in the latest year. This equates to 80% of the 66.8 billion kilometres recorded three years ago.
Previous statistical releases
- Table 1221 - Passenger journeys by sector
- Table 1222 - Passenger journeys by ticket type
- Table 1223 - Passenger journeys by operator
- Table 1231 - Passenger kilometres by sector
- Table 1232 - Passenger kilometres by ticket type
- Table 1233 - Passenger kilometres by operator
- Table 1211 - Passenger revenue by sector
- Table 1212 - Passenger revenue by ticket type
- Table 1210 - Revenue per passenger kilometres and per passenger journey
- Table 1243 - Passenger train kilometres by operator
- Table 1253 - Passenger vehicle kilometres by operator