Passenger rail usage
Quarterly statistics reporting the volume of passenger journeys, kilometres and revenue on the mainline network in Great Britain.Long-running time series on passenger journeys (Table 12.5) and passenger kilometres (Table 12.2) are updated annually.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail usage methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger rail usage can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Date published: 03 Oct 2019
Date next published: 12 Dec 2019
- Rail passenger journeys in Great Britain in 2019-20 Q1 increased to 439 million (2.4% rise compared to 2018-19 Q1).
- Passenger kilometres increased by 3.9% compared to 2018-19 Q1. There were increases in all three franchised rail sectors, with the highest growth (4.3%) in the London and South East sector.
- Passenger revenue rose by 4.9% to £2.7 billion in 2019-20 Q1.
- The volume of passenger train kilometres in 2019-20 Q1 was 139 million, up 5.6% compared to 2018-19 Q1.
Previous statistical releases
- Passenger journeys by sector - Table 12.6
- Passenger journeys by ticket type - Table 12.7
- Passenger journeys by train operating company - Table 12.12
- Passenger kilometres by sector - Table 12.3
- Passenger kilometres by ticket type - Table 12.4
- Passenger kilometres by train operating company - Table 12.11
- Passenger Revenue by sector - Table 12.8
- Passenger Revenue by ticket type - Table 12.9
- Revenue per passenger kilometres and per passenger journey - Table 12.10
- Passenger train kilometres by operator - Table 12.13