Passenger rail usage
Quarterly statistics reporting the volume of passenger journeys, kilometres and revenue on the mainline network in Great Britain. Long-running time series on passenger journeys (Table 1220) and passenger kilometres (Table 1230) are updated annually.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail usage quality and methodology report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger rail usage can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Date published: 11 Mar 2021
Date next published: 03 Jun 2021
- Passenger rail usage during the third quarter of 2020-21 continued to be affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. An alternative methodology has been used to estimate usage with some ticket types in 2020-21. There is more uncertainty around the estimates for 2020-21 Q1, Q2 and Q3 compared with previous quarters.
- A total of 140 million rail passenger journeys were made in Great Britain in 2020-21 Q3. Usage remains considerably lower than it was before the pandemic with the 140 million journeys this quarter equating to 30.2% of the 463 million journeys recorded in 2019-20 Q3.
- The London and South East sector recorded 106 million journeys this quarter. This equates to 33.4% of usage in 2019-20 Q3, higher than the Regional sector (24.0%) and the Long-distance sector (21.4%).
- Total passenger revenue in Great Britain was £641 million in 2020-21 Q3. This equates to 23.8% of the £2.7 billion in 2019-20 Q3.
Previous statistical releases
- Table 1221 - Passenger journeys by sector
- Table 1222 - Passenger journeys by ticket type
- Table 1223 - Passenger journeys by operator
- Table 1231 - Passenger kilometres by sector
- Table 1232 - Passenger kilometres by ticket type
- Table 1233 - Passenger kilometres by operator
- Table 1211 - Passenger revenue by sector
- Table 1212 - Passenger revenue by ticket type
- Table 1210 - Revenue per passenger kilometres and per passenger journey
- Table 1243 - Passenger train kilometres by operator