Passenger rail usage
Quarterly statistics reporting the volume of passenger journeys, kilometres and revenue on the mainline network in Great Britain. Long-running time series on passenger journeys (Table 1220) and passenger kilometres (Table 1230) are updated annually.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail usage quality and methodology report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger rail usage can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact email@example.com
Latest statistical release
Date published: 15 Dec 2022
Date next published: 16 Mar 2023
- A total of 359 million rail passenger journeys were made in Great Britain in the latest quarter (1 July to 30 September 2022). This is 80.3% of the 448 million journeys in the same quarter three years ago (pre-pandemic). Strike action by the railway unions took place on five days in the latest quarter. In response, a reduced timetable was put in place on the strike days and on some of the days after.
- A total of 13.7 billion passenger kilometres were travelled in the latest quarter. This is 77.4% of the 17.7 billion kilometres travelled in the same quarter three years ago.
- Total passenger revenue was £2.2 billion in the latest quarter. This is 71.0% of the £3.1 billion three years ago (when adjusted for inflation).
Previous statistical releases
- Table 1221 - Passenger journeys by sector
- Table 1222 - Passenger journeys by ticket type
- Table 1223 - Passenger journeys by operator
- Table 1231 - Passenger kilometres by sector
- Table 1232 - Passenger kilometres by ticket type
- Table 1233 - Passenger kilometres by operator
- Table 1211 - Passenger revenue by sector
- Table 1212 - Passenger revenue by ticket type
- Table 1210 - Revenue per passenger kilometres and per passenger journey
- Table 1243 - Passenger train kilometres by operator
- Table 1253 - Passenger vehicle kilometres by operator