Passenger rail service complaints
Quarterly statistics on the volume and cause of complaints made to train operating companies, infrastructure managers and passenger watchdogs along with statistics on how well train operating companies respond to complaints. This data forms part of ORR's core consumer data requirements from train operating companies; more information can be found at ORR core data
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail service complaints and delay compensation claims methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger rail service complaints can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
USER ENGAGEMENT SURVEY - How can we improve the Data Portal? Give us your views on our outputs via our user survey (here).
Latest statistical release
Date published: 09 Jan 2020
Date next published: 02 Apr 2020
- There were 29.6 complaints per 100,000 journeys for franchised operators in 2019-20 Q2, a decrease of 9.3% compared to 2018-19 Q2.
- Punctuality/reliability of rail services remained the largest category of passenger complaint in 2019-20 Q2. The largest percentage point (pp) increases in 2019-20 Q2 compared with last year were for complaints regarding facilities on board the train (up 2.0 pp).
- Nationally, 94.4% of complaints were closed within 20 working days during 2019-20 Q2. A total of 17 out of 23 train operators met the industry requirement to close 95% or more of their complaints within 20 working days.
- There were 178 appeals closed by passenger watchdogs in 2019-20 Q2, a decrease of 89.8% compared to the same quarter last year. This significant decrease is due to many appeals being directed to the new Rail Ombudsman instead of Transport Focus or London TravelWatch.
Previous statistical releases
- Appeals closed by Transport Focus and London TravelWatch by TOC - Table 14.15
- Complaint categories for appeals closed by Transport Focus and London TravelWatch - Table 14.16
- Complaints by category - Table 14.3
- Complaints category by TOC - Table 14.5
- Complaints responded to within 10 and 20 working days by TOC - Table 14.2
- Complaints Rate - Table 14.8
- Complaints Rate by TOC - Table 14.9
- Passenger satisfaction with complaints handling by TOC and Quarter - Table 14.20
- Complaints by contact method and train operating company - Table 14.6
- National Rail Enquiry telephone service - Table 14.13
- Passenger satisfaction with complaints handling – Table 14.19
- Passenger satisfaction with complaints handling by TOC and financial year - Table 14.18
- Praise rate by train operating company - Table 14.17