Passenger rail service complaints
Quarterly statistics on the volume and cause of complaints made to train operating companies, infrastructure managers and passenger watchdogs along with statistics on how well train operating companies respond to complaints. This data forms part of ORR's core consumer data requirements from train operating companies; more information can be found at ORR core data
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail service complaints and delay compensation claims methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger rail service complaints can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact email@example.com
Latest statistical release
Date published: 25 Jun 2020
Date next published: 22 Oct 2020
- Nationally there were 30.6 complaints per 100,000 journeys in 2019-20, this represents an increase of 0.5% compared to 2018-19.
- Punctuality/reliability of rail services remained the largest category of passenger complaint in 2019-20. The largest percentage point (pp) increases in 2019-20 compared with 2018-19, was also related to punctuality/reliability (up 1.8 pp).
- Nationally, 94.7% of complaints were closed within 20 working days in 2019-20. A total of 16 out of 23 train operators met the industry requirement to close 95% or more of their complaints within 20 working days.
- Transport Focus closed 827 appeals in 2019-20, an 81.5% decrease compared to 2018-19. The main reason to appeal was related to ticketing and refunds policy, with 29.8% of all appeals.
Previous statistical releases
- Appeals closed by Transport Focus and London TravelWatch by TOC - Table 14.15
- Complaint categories for appeals closed by Transport Focus and London TravelWatch - Table 14.16
- Complaints by category - Table 14.3
- Complaints category by TOC - Table 14.5
- Complaints responded to within 10 and 20 working days by TOC - Table 14.2
- Complaints Rate - Table 14.8
- Complaints Rate by TOC - Table 14.9
- Complaints by contact method and train operating company - Table 14.6
- National Rail Enquiry telephone service - Table 14.13
- Praise rate by train operating company - Table 14.17
- Passenger satisfaction with complaints handling by TOC and financial year - Table 14.18
- Passenger satisfaction with complaints handling – Table 14.19
- Passenger satisfaction with complaints handling by TOC and Quarter - Table 14.20