Annual safety statistics including accidents to passengers, workforce and members of the public and dangerous incidents. These incidents are reported to the Office of Rail and Road under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulation (RIDDOR) and cover the mainline network in Great Britain, London Underground, Heritage, Light Rail and Tramways. This section also includes quarterly statistics on the number of signals passed at danger (SPADs).
For details on RIDDOR, the legal reporting requirements and how these statistics are compiled, please see our Rail safety methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Rail safety can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Date published: 25 Sep 2018
Date next published: TBC
- The number of passenger fatalities decreased to seven in 2017-18; down from 15 in 2016-17.
- There were no passenger fatalities as a result of a train accident in 2017-18
- There were two workforce fatalities in 2017-18.
Previous statistical releases
- Broken rails and buckled rails - Table 5.31
- Key statistics - Fatalities and injuries - Table 5.10
- Key statistics - Passenger safety - Table 5.18
- Key statistics - Public safety - Table 5.22
- Key statistics - Road rail interface bridge strikes - Table 5.44
- Key statistics - Road rail interface collisions - Table 5.45
- Key statistics - Road rail interface fatalities - Table 5.24
- Key statistics - Road rail interface near miss and misuse incidents - Table 5.46
- Key statistics - Road rail interface vehicle incursion - Table 5.47
- Key statistics - Train accidents - Table 5.26
- Key statistics - Workforce safety - Table 5.34
- Passenger and public assault - Table 5.15
- Reported vandalism incidents - Table 5.23
- Train accidents with passenger or workforce fatalities - Table 5.27
- Workforce assaults, threats and verbal abuse - Table 5.7