Annual safety statistics including accidents to passengers, workforce and members of the public and dangerous incidents. These incidents are reported to the Office of Rail and Road under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulation (RIDDOR) and cover the mainline network in Great Britain, London Underground, Heritage, Light Rail and Tramways. This section also includes quarterly statistics on the number of signals passed at danger (SPADs).
For details on RIDDOR, the legal reporting requirements and how these statistics are compiled, please see our Rail safety quality and methodology report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Rail safety can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact email@example.com
Latest statistical release
Date published: 29 Sep 2020
Date next published: TBC
- In 2019-20 there were 12 passenger fatalities: seven occurred on the mainline, and five occurred on London Underground. This is a decrease from 17 passenger fatalities in 2018-19.
- There were four workforce fatalities in 2019-20. Three of these occurred on the mainline, and one fatality involved a London Underground infrastructure worker.
- On the mainline, the numbers of workforce major and minor injuries have fallen to their lowest levels since the time series began in 2007-08.
Previous statistical releases
- Table 5200 - All fatalities and injuries
- Table 5204 - Road rail interface fatalities
- Table 5206 - Passenger and public assault
- Table 5210 - Workforce fatalities and injuries
- Table 5220 - Public fatalities and injuries
- Table 5230 - Passenger fatalities and injuries
- Table 5240 - Road rail interface bridge strikes
- Table 5244 - Road rail interface near miss and misuse incidents
- Table 5245 - Road rail interface collision
- Table 5250 - Broken rails and buckled rails
- Table 5260 - Train accidents by severity
- Table 5265 - Train accidents with passenger or workforce fatalities