Annual safety statistics including accidents to passengers, workforce and members of the public and dangerous incidents. These incidents are reported to the Office of Rail and Road under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulation (RIDDOR) and cover the mainline network in Great Britain, London Underground, Heritage, Light Rail and Tramways. This section also includes quarterly statistics on the number of signals passed at danger (SPADs).
For details on RIDDOR, the legal reporting requirements and how these statistics are compiled, please see our Rail safety quality and methodology report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Rail safety can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Date published: 30 Sep 2021
Date next published: 29 Sep 2022
- In 2020-21 there were 10 passenger fatalities: two occurred on the mainline, and eight occurred on London Underground. This is a decrease from 13 passenger fatalities in 2019-20.
- There were five workforce fatalities in 2020-21, compared with three in 2019-20. All of these occurred on the mainline.
- On the mainline, there were five fatalities at level crossings involving members of the public in 2020-21 compared with two in 2019-20. The number of near misses at level crossings with pedestrians increased to 342, which is the highest since the time series began in 2002-03.
Previous statistical releases
- Table 5200 - All fatalities and injuries
- Table 5204 - Road rail interface fatalities
- Table 5206 - Passenger and public assault
- Table 5210 - Workforce fatalities and injuries
- Table 5220 - Public fatalities and injuries
- Table 5230 - Passenger fatalities and injuries
- Table 5240 - Road rail interface bridge strikes
- Table 5244 - Road rail interface near miss and misuse incidents
- Table 5245 - Road rail interface collision
- Table 5250 - Broken rails and buckled rails
- Table 5260 - Train accidents by severity
- Table 5265 - Train accidents with passenger or workforce fatalities