Regional rail usage
The issue identified in the source data used to produce Regional rail usage has now been fixed and revised figures have been published in the data tables below. More details on these revisions can be found in the revisions log. If you have any questions or would like any support using and interpreting our statistics please contact email@example.com.
Annual statistics providing passenger journeys data for each Region of Great Britain, including journeys between Regions, within Regions and between England, Scotland and Wales. These estimates are collated by Steer on behalf of ORR.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Regional rail usage methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Regional rail usage can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest statistical release
Date published: 23 Jun 2020
Date next published: TBC
- Rail passenger journeys in Great Britain increased by 3.0% in 2018-19 compared to 2017-18.
- The West Midlands (up 6.2%) recorded the largest increase while Yorkshire and the Humber (down 0.6%) recorded the largest fall in 2018-19.
- Journeys to/from other regions increased by 3.0%. The number of journeys increased for all regions. The highest growth rate was for journeys to/from the West Midlands, with an increase of 3.5%. Wales (down 0.8%) was the only region to record fewer journeys to/from other regions compared with last year.
- Journeys within regions increased by 2.9%. The West Midlands recorded the largest increase this year with growth of 7.7%. Yorkshire and the Humber (down 1.9%) recorded the largest decrease this year.
Previous statistical releases
- Regional_rail_journeys - East Midlands- Table 15.1
- Regional_rail_journeys - East of England - Table 15.2
- Regional_rail_journeys - GB and England Scotland Wales - Table 15.3
- Regional_rail_journeys - London - Table 15.4
- Regional_rail_journeys - North East - Table 15.5
- Regional_rail_journeys - North West - Table 15.6
- Regional_rail_journeys - Scotland - Table 15.7
- Regional_rail_journeys - South East - Table 15.8
- Regional_rail_journeys - South West - Table 15.9
- Regional_rail_journeys - Wales - Table 15.10
- Regional_rail_journeys - West Midlands - Table 15.11
- Regional_rail_journeys - Yorkshire and the Humber - Table 15.12
- Regional rail journeys - Passenger journeys by GB Regions - Table 15.13