Regional rail usage
Annual statistics providing passenger journeys data for each Region of Great Britain, including journeys between Regions, within Regions and between England, Scotland and Wales. These estimates are collated by Steer on behalf of ORR.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Regional rail usage methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Regional rail usage can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact email@example.com
USER ENGAGEMENT SURVEY - How can we improve the Data Portal? Give us your views on our outputs via our user survey (here).
Latest statistical release
Date published: 31 Mar 2020
Date next published: TBC
- Rail passenger journeys in Great Britain increased by 3.1% in 2018-19 compared to 2017-18.
- Wales (up 8.0%) and West Midlands (up 6.3%) recorded the largest increases while Yorkshire and the Humber (down 0.6%) recorded the only fall in 2018-19.
- Journeys to/from other regions increased by 3.0%. The number of journeys increased for all regions. The highest growth rate was for journeys to/from the West Midlands, with an increase of 3.7% and the lowest growth rate was for journeys to/from Wales (up 0.2%).
- Journeys within regions increased by 3.2%. Wales recorded the largest increase this year with growth of 11.5%. Three regions experienced a decrease in journeys within their boundaries in 2018-19.
Previous statistical releases
- Regional_rail_journeys - East Midlands- Table 15.1
- Regional_rail_journeys - East of England - Table 15.2
- Regional_rail_journeys - GB and England Scotland Wales - Table 15.3
- Regional_rail_journeys - London - Table 15.4
- Regional_rail_journeys - North East - Table 15.5
- Regional_rail_journeys - North West - Table 15.6
- Regional_rail_journeys - Scotland - Table 15.7
- Regional_rail_journeys - South East - Table 15.8
- Regional_rail_journeys - South West - Table 15.9
- Regional_rail_journeys - Wales - Table 15.10
- Regional_rail_journeys - West Midlands - Table 15.11
- Regional_rail_journeys - Yorkshire and the Humber - Table 15.12
- Regional rail journeys - Passenger journeys by GB Regions - Table 15.13