Regional rail usage
Annual statistics providing passenger journeys data for each Region of Great Britain, including journeys between Regions, within Regions and between England, Scotland and Wales. These estimates are collated by Steer on behalf of ORR.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Regional rail usage methodology and quality report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Regional rail usage can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
USER ENGAGEMENT SURVEY - How can we improve the Data Portal? Give us your views on our outputs via our user survey (here).
Latest statistical release
Date published: 28 Feb 2019
Date next published: TBC
- The number of rail passenger journeys in Great Britain has increased by 0.4% compared to 2016-17. This was the smallest increase in passenger journeys in eight years.
- Journeys to/from other regions increased by 1.2%. The number of journeys increased for all regions, except the South West.
- Journeys within regions remained at a similar level. Passenger journeys in London, which account for more than half of all journeys within regions, decreased by 1.4%.
Previous statistical releases
- Regional rail journeys - East Midlands - Table 15.1
- Regional rail journeys - East of England - Table 15.2
- Regional rail journeys - GB and England Scotland Wales - Table 15.3
- Regional rail journeys - GB and England Scotland Wales by region - Table 15.13
- Regional rail journeys - London - Table 15.4
- Regional rail journeys - North East - Table 15.5
- Regional rail journeys - North West - Table 15.6
- Passenger journeys by Region - Table 15.14
- Regional rail journeys - Scotland - Table 15.7
- Regional rail journeys - South East - Table 15.8
- Regional rail journeys - Wales - Table 15.10
- Regional rail journeys - West Midlands - Table 15.11
- Regional rail journeys - Yorkshire and the Humber - Table 15.12
- Regional rail journeys - South West - Table 15.9