This page provides our users and stakeholders with information about:
- our proposals about changes to our statistics;
- changes in methodology prior to publication;
- our consultations with the rail industry and other stakeholders.
We encourage feedback from users of our statistics at any time. We will actively seek feedback when we have proposals for changes, which we be clearly highlighted on this page.
Read our Statement on user engagement.
Rail statistics management group
The Rail statistics management group (RSMG) is composed of the main industry participants where we discuss possible improvements to rail statistics and research in the rail industry.
Rail statistics newsletter
Due to changes in how we categorise data since the launch of our data portal, we introduced new table numbers for all of our data tables. This should mean that table numbers published under each theme are more coherent.
For users who were familiar with the old table numbers, we have produced a spreadsheet detailing the table number changes for each of our data tables.
Data Portal: User engagement survey
Our user engagement survey is now closed but thank you to all users that took the opportunity to provide us with feedback. We have now published the results of the user engagement survey and the implementation plan, which can be found below.
- User Engagement Survey - Implementation plan
- ORR Data Portal - User Engagement Survey Results
Improving rail data
Given the majority of our data comes from administrative systems used for operational purposes with statistical use being a secondary purpose we are currently planning a work programme to better understand the quality of the data our suppliers provide. We will work with our data suppliers and use the Office for Statistics Regulation’s standard Quality Assurance of Administrative Data (QAAD) as a toolkit to assist us with our assessment.
We use independent reporters to assess the quality of data provided by Network Rail. The quality is graded on two aspects: system reliability and data accuracy. Reports on completed assessments are published on the ORR website.
A number of other reviews have previously been commissioned by us to ensure that our data are robust and align with stakeholder requirements. These reports are below:
- Statistical outputs and ORR data portal - survey results
- Survey on Statistical releases and Quality reports – feedback from users and implementation process
- ORR data portal enhancements report – by Research Works
- National rail trends portal survey - a summary of the results and key findings from the portal survey. It also includes how we are addressing the key findings from the survey September 2011
- Passenger journeys in Great Britain - A comparison between the two published measures of passenger journeys
- Office of National Statistics review of rail fares index - a methodological review of the rail fares index and recommended improvements
- Why are data provisional? - An explanation as to why some passenger rail usage data are provisional
We welcome feedback. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or suggestions.