This page provides our users and stakeholders with information about:
- our proposals about changes to our statistics;
- changes in methodology prior to publication;
- our consultations with the rail industry and other stakeholders.
We encourage feedback from users of our statistics at any time. We will actively seek feedback when we have proposals for changes, which we be clearly highlighted ton his this page.
Read our Statement on user engagement.
ORR Data Portal: User Engagement Survey
We launched our user engagement survey on 13th January. We would like to hear your views on our statistical outputs and where we can improve. Please complete our 5-10 minute user survey here
This section provides details on our proposed changes to our statistical publications. It outlines our proposals and asks for feedback from users of the statistics. The feedback received will inform our decisions about any potential changes and may influence our decisions.
- Proposed changes to other statistical publications during 2019-20 to reflect new or changed data and reporting for CP6 will be added to this page in the near future and be consulted on with Rail statistics management group (RSMG). In particular any changes relating to Network Rail reorganising into 5 regions.
If you have any comments or queries on these proposed changes, please contact email@example.com.
Improving rail data
Given the majority of our data comes from administrative systems used for operational purposes with statistical use being a secondary purpose we are currently planning a work programme to better understand the quality of the data our suppliers provide. We will work with our data suppliers and use the Office for Statistics Regulation’s standard “Quality Assurance of Administrative Data (QAAD)” as a toolkit to assist us with our assessment.
We use independent reporters to assess the quality of data provided by Network Rail. The quality is graded on two aspects: system reliability and data accuracy. Reports on completed assessments are published on the ORR website.
A number of other reviews have previously been commissioned by us to ensure that our data are robust and align with stakeholder requirements. These reports are below:
- Statistical outputs and ORR data portal - survey results
- Survey on Statistical releases and Quality reports – feedback from users and implementation process
- Office of National Statistics review of rail fares index - a methodological review of the rail fares index and recommendations on improving the dataset.
- ORR data portal enhancements report – by Research Works
- National rail trends portal survey, September 2011 - a summary of the results and key findings from the portal survey. It also includes how we are addressing the key findings from the survey.
- Passenger journeys in Great Britain - A comparison between the two published measures of passenger journeys
- Why are data provisional? - An explanation as to why some passenger rail usage data are provisional
Rail statistics management group
The Rail statistics management group (RSMG) is composed of the main industry participants where we discuss possible improvements to rail statistics and research in the rail industry.
We welcome feedback. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or suggestions.