Passenger rail usage
Quarterly statistics reporting the volume of passenger journeys, kilometres and revenue on the mainline network in Great Britain. Long-running time series on passenger journeys (Table 1220) and passenger kilometres (Table 1230) are updated annually.
For details on how these statistics are compiled, please see our Passenger rail usage quality and methodology report and for information on any revisions, please see our Revisions Log.
Data and reports that include previous statistical releases on Passenger rail usage can be found on the National Archives.
If you have any questions or feedback on these statistics, please contact email@example.com
Latest statistical release
Date published: 07 Oct 2021
Date next published: 16 Dec 2021
- Passenger rail usage continued to be affected this quarter by restrictions relating to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- A total of 182 million rail passenger journeys were made in Great Britain in 2021-22 Q1. This is more than five times the 35 million journeys made in 2020-21 Q1 when travel restrictions were most severe and the most journeys since the start of 2020-21. Nevertheless, usage remains considerably lower than before the pandemic with the 182 million journeys this quarter equating to 41.6% of the 437 million journeys made in the same quarter two years ago (2019-20 Q1).
- Usage continues to vary by ticket type. The 149 million journeys made in 2021-22 Q1 using ordinary tickets equate to 50.8% of usage in 2019-20 Q1. By contrast, the 32 million journeys made using season tickets this quarter equate to 22.9% of usage in 2019-20 Q1.
- Total passenger revenue in Great Britain was £999 million in 2021-22 Q1. This equates to 35.9% of the £2.8 billion in 2019-20 Q1 (2021-22 Q1 prices).
Previous statistical releases
- Table 1221 - Passenger journeys by sector
- Table 1222 - Passenger journeys by ticket type
- Table 1223 - Passenger journeys by operator
- Table 1231 - Passenger kilometres by sector
- Table 1232 - Passenger kilometres by ticket type
- Table 1233 - Passenger kilometres by operator
- Table 1211 - Passenger revenue by sector
- Table 1212 - Passenger revenue by ticket type
- Table 1210 - Revenue per passenger kilometres and per passenger journey
- Table 1243 - Passenger train kilometres by operator